Motor Vehicle Maintenance
We are pleased to be able to offer a variety of accredited educational courses through our link with a local provider (Community Motors). This has been chosen to be accessible to a wide range of students and to support broad progression opportunities, interests and needs. The motor vehicle-specific nature of these qualifications enables learners to gain knowledge and experience on which to base future progression decisions and enhance employment prospects, plus gain valuable life skills.
Current courses we offer include:
- Entry Level 3 – Motor Vehicle Studies
- Level 1 – Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Level 1 – Service and Maintenance Engineering
- Level 2 – Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles
One student had the following to say about the Motor Vehicle Course –
I go to Motor Vehicles which is in Tolworth, the course is usually about a year, but it opens up various career options such as; going to collage to study further, getting an apprenticeship, and getting a job.
I go to motor vehicles on a Wednesday afternoon, from 12 – 2:45. I get to learn with other students and the teacher, Kevin, is fun and makes learning enjoyable. I would never have had this chance if I was still in mainstream school.
The course includes:
- Learning how to change a tyre.
- Learning how to check the brake pads and the disks for possible weaknesses or if they are a danger.
- How to find a puncture in the tyre quickly.
- How to get the tyre off the rim to change it.
- How to check to see if the tyre is safe to drive on the roads.
Through this I have gained a level one in motor mechanics, which has opened up the opportunity to go to college to study the level 2 in engineering and technology. After that I am going on to do the level 3 in engineering and technology, which will eventually lead to an apprenticeship in London or Gatwick airport fixing aeroplanes.