Students at Malden Oaks study the OCR GCSE course in Citizenship Studies as a core subject. The course is designed to give you the tools to learn about the society you live in and understand some of the fundamental processes you will need to know about all through your adult lives.
You will learn about the democratic process and how you can participate in it. You will consider your role as a citizen in relation to others on a local, national, European and global scale. You will study the legal process and the rights and responsibilities of individuals in relation to it. You will gain an understanding of economics and finance. You will explore topical issues such as migration, identity and community cohesion.
Students complete three units of assessment:
- Paper 1: Citizenship in Perspective. This is worth 25% of the GCSE qualification and is a written paper. Students will have 50 minutes to complete questions worth a total of 50 marks.
- Paper 2: Citizenship in Action. This is worth 50% of the GCSE qualification and is a written paper. Students will have 1hr45 minutes to complete questions worth a total of 100 marks.
- Paper 3: Our Rights, Our Society, Our World. This is worth 25% of the GCSE qualification and is a written paper. Students will have 1hour to complete questions worth a total of 50 marks.
GCSE Citizenship enables students to:
- Develop and apply understanding of key Citizenship concepts (justice, democracy, rights and responsibilities, identities and diversity) to deepen their understanding of society and how communities change over time
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts, opinions and bias, build arguments and make informed judgements
- Develop the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding to take action with others to address Citizenship issues.
Engage with topical Citizenship issues and contribute to debates on challenges facing society, involving a wide range of political, social and ethical ideas, issues and problems in different contexts (local to global)
This is a varied and exciting course that will equip you to access current affairs in the media as well as be an informed and confident citizen.